Books

Difficult and haunting story of complex relationships

There are books you can read with great ease on a long sunny afternoon after lunch. This isn't one of them!

Typically kooky offering from master novelist

Typically kooky offering from master novelist

The incomparable Haruki Murakami has been hailed, with fine reason, by the Observer as ''the best novelist on the planet''.

Waha|Mouth

Waha|Mouth

Hinemoana Baker is a writer, musician and sound artist.

The Art of Excavation

The Art of Excavation

Leilani Tamu is a poet, social commentator, historian and former New Zealand diplomat.

The Song of the Kauri

The Song of the Kauri

Aucklander Melinda Szymanik is the University of Otago College of Education Creative New Zealand Children's Writer in Residence.

The Lonely Nude

The Lonely Nude

Emily Dobson once worked as a life model.

Back-To-Front Bob and Punctuation Mark

Back-To-Front Bob and Punctuation Mark

Back-to-front Bob and Punctuation Mark by Belinda Ellis are quirky takes on word usage and punctuation.

The Letterbox Cat

The Letterbox Cat

The Letterbox Cat is Aucklander Paula Green's latest collection of poems for children.

Home part of massive war effort

Home part of massive war effort

This is another book - and a rattling good one - about this country's participation in the war to end all wars.

Wartime home life well drawn

Wartime home life well drawn

Whenever historians trot out the old statistic that 10% of New Zealanders served overseas in 1914-18, I ask why we say so little about the other 90%.