poisonous gas leak led to a 100m-wide cordon in a busy
Dunedin industrial area yesterday afternoon.
Emergency services were called to BOC Gas and Gear in Orari
St, following reports of a leaking gas bottle just after 1pm.
Three fire appliances and a fire command unit were at the
scene, and police blocked both ends of the street. They were
soon joined by dozens of evacuated workers.
Dunedin station officer Phillip De Rooy said the gas was
hydrogen sulphide, a poisonous and flammable gas which
required firefighters to wear appropriate equipment and
Firefighters were able to isolate the source of the leak,
which was from a small gas cylinder, and the cordon was
lifted just before 3pm.