The charred remains of a couch on Forth St early yesterday.
Photo by Craig Baxter.
Drinking alcohol while playing with fireworks proved less
of a bang and more of a fizzer for two Dunedin men on Saturday
night, police say.
Police were called several times to a party at a Beresford St
address, asking partygoers to ''moderate their use of
fireworks'' following complaints by concerned residents,
Sergeant Dave Scott, of Dunedin, said.
''Clearly, that failed because we were called back when a
hedge went on fire, so to reinforce the message a couple of
them came back to the police station.''
Two fire appliances were sent to the Kaikorai property to put
out the flames just before 9.30pm, with the incident
prompting a stern message from police.
''Alcohol, fireworks and stupidity equals chaos,'' Sgt Scott
''They are tying up the resources of the Fire Service and
have done some damage to the landlord's property.''
The men have been charged with disorder-related offences.
The Fire Service reported a relatively incident-free weekend
around the South Island, with fewer than a dozen
fireworks-related calls between 6.30pm on Saturday and 7am on
A Fire Southern communications spokesman said ''it was pretty
impressive the way people looked after their fireworks [on
Saturday night] and they need to keep that up''.
''A couple of the fires was caused by people not handling
their fireworks properly, not in a dangerous fashion but just
not being careful enough.''
During the same period, there were nine reported couch fires
in the North Dunedin student quarter, including three on