Volunteers remove letters from the ''No Drill'' sign on
Quarantine Island's jetty in Otago Harbour on Saturday.
Photo by Linda Robertson.
A controversial ''No Drill'' sign may have been removed,
but the St Martin Island Community is promising to deliver a
The sign, which had been in place since October, was removed
letter by letter by volunteers on Saturday.
''It was a bit of a mission. It was well constructed,''
spokeswoman Francine Vella said.
The group had won its quest to the Environment Court for a
stay to keep the sign up on Quarantine Island's jetty in
Otago Harbour until May, but decided to remove the sign
''We are OK about doing this because the no-drill message
itself, we feel, has come to an end.''
Ms Vella said the sign had attracted support and had drawn no
negative reaction, apart from the Otago Regional Council
ordering it to be removed.
In January, the community was issued with an abatement notice
from the council to take down the sign, as it considered the
Both the Environment Court and the regional council had been
notified about the sign's removal.
''We will be looking at putting another message up, but
probably not on the jetty.''