The former Woodhaugh Hotel on Malvern St was the scene of a
fire on Thursday morning. Photo: Stephen Jaquiery
Recently installed smoke alarms helped save the lives of
sleeping students at the former Woodhaugh Hotel on Malvern St
just after 5am on Thursday.
The Fire Service was called after an occupant asleep in the
second›floor room where the fire started was startled by a
smoke alarm shrieking, East Otago Fire Risk Management
officer Michael Harrison said.
‘‘He discovered the fire and alerted everyone else and then
the other smoke alarms sounded.''
The man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
There were about six occupants in the 10›bedroom property at
the time of the fire.
‘‘They had smoke alarms installed one or two months ago.
Without those it would have been quite a different story.
‘‘Luckily there was just damage to the building and no
serious injuries to anyone.''
Fire damage was limited to one part of the flat and into the
roof area, with smoke and water damage to the second floor.
While the cause of the fire was yet to be confirmed, it was
not believed to be suspicious, he said.