Taieri residents are urged to have their chimneys swept
before winter after firefighters already attended one fire
Mosgiel firefighter Richard Yardley said people were now
using their fires and had probably ''let them sit over
''It is a good idea to get them cleaned at this time of the
year, so that they can go into the winter and alleviate the
risk of chimney fires.''
To assist chimney sweeps, who were often very busy at this
time of year, people should not light their fires for two
days before having them cleaned.
Mr Yardley said firefighters had attended one chimney fire
this season and - on past experience - he expected more.
''As the season goes on we will have two or three more,
generally towards the end of the season.''
The burning of wet wood created creosote - commonly found
inside chimney flues when the wood or coal burns incompletely
and condenses on the side of a chimney when it cools down.
Owners of woodburners could check for creosote by knocking on
the flue and listening for pieces falling off, but the best
advice was to get chimneys swept once a year.
Firefighters were also encouraging residents to put smoke
alarms into bedrooms, ''and the reason for that is when we
sleep our senses shut down so smoke alarms provide an early
Residents wanting help to install fire alarms into their
homes can contact the Mosgiel Fire Brigade on 489-7999.