Two wards at Dunedin Hospital are under tight restrictions
because of a diarrhoea and vomiting outbreak.
Ward 6a was closed to patient admissions and visitors, while
ward 8b was closed to visitors, and admissions were
Anyone considering visiting the hospital was asked not to if
they had recently experienced gastroenteritis symptoms.
The outbreak had put pressure on other parts of the hospital,
and some elective surgery has been postponed, Southern
District Health Board said in a statement.
The board is encouraging the public to see their GP early,
and use the after-hours service, in a bid to reduce patients
presenting at the emergency department.
Patient services director Dick Bunton said staff had
responded "incredibly well'' to the situation.
"Dunedin Hospital is experiencing a high number of acutely
unwell patients presenting in ED this week, leading to
"Family and friends are also being asked not to visit
patients in Dunedin Hospital if they have diarrhoea and
vomiting symptoms, and for 48 hours after the symptoms are
cleared because they can still be infectious.''
Earlier this week, an outbreak had closed ward 6b to new
patients and visitors. It reopened on Tuesday.