Dunedin murder accused in court

Police tape around the scene of the death. Photo ODT Files
Police tape around the scene of the death. Photo ODT Files
The trial of a Dunedin man charged with murder after the death of a man in an Octagon bar has been tentatively set for next April.

Stephen Anthony Fernyhough (25), demolition worker, of Dunedin, is accused of murdering Ryan John Court at Dunedin on April 27 this year.

Mr Court (35) died after being found unconscious in the toilet area of an inner city bar early that day.

Fernyhough was arrested the next day and appeared in the Dunedin District Court, initially on a charge of assaulting Mr Court but was later charged with murder.

He made a brief appearance before Justice Gendall in the High Court today and was remanded for a case review hearing in August.

Crown counsel Robin Bates confirmed April 15 next year was the suggested date for trial.

Mr Bates also said initial disclosure of police evidence had taken place.

He said the post mortem report had not yet been received and he understood it would be another two to three weeks before it would be available once toxicology results had been completed.

Justice Gendall remanded Fernyhough in custody to August 5 for the case review hearing.

ODT/directory - Local Businesses

CompanyLocationBusiness Type
8 Ranges WinesAlexandraWineries
Cutlers MREINZ Rental Properties / University InvestmentsDunedinProperty Rental Agents
Amross MotelDunedinMotels
Homeplus OtagoDunedinDoors & Door Fittings