Dunedin Hospital's ward 6C reopened for admissions yesterday
afternoon after being closed by bouts of norovirus and
Southern District Health Board executive director of nursing
and midwifery Leanne Samuel said there had been no cases of
diarrhoea or vomiting in the ward for the past two days.
Ms Samuel said 11 staff and 13 patients had symptoms of
diarrhoea and/or vomiting since the bugs hit on the weekend
from June 7 and visitors were restricted and the ward was
closed to new admissions.
The ward closure follows the lockdown of Ross Home and
Hospital, in Dunedin, until after Queen's Birthday Weekend to
ensure it was clear of gastroenteritis.
Manager Margaret Pearce said the outbreak began on May 20 and
the rest-home was ''clear'' of symptoms from May 29 and
reopened on June 3.
Mrs Pearce said initially about 30 residents and 12 staff
were afflicted but she would not reveal the final number of
people who fell ill.
The inpatient ward at Clutha Health First reopened on May 28
after being closed or restricted because of two
In the first outbreak, 10 staff became ill and in the second,
a week later, five patients were affected, he said.
Redroofs Care Home manager Stacey Hood said there were no
outbreaks at the Maori Hill rest-home and a spokeswoman for
St Andrews Home and Hospital declined to comment as to
whether it had had an outbreak.