Two wards at Dunedin Hospital have been closed after an
outbreak of gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis, or infectious diarrhoea, had affected 20
patients and eight staff at the hospital, Southern District
Health Board executive director of nursing and midwifery
Leanne Samuel said.
''The outbreak has affected seven patients and three staff in
ward 6a and 13 patients and five staff in ward 6b,'' Mrs
The wards had been closed to new admissions since Monday. It
was hoped they would reopen by the end of the week.
''Precautions are in place with clinical staff using gowns
and gloves ... and employing rigorous infection, prevention
and control measures,'' she said.
''We are keeping cohorting patients who are symptomatic
together away from other patients or managing them in single
Mrs Samuel urged visitors to take precautions when visiting
''The public are asked to stay away from the hospital if they
are sick, and if they are visiting the hospital, to use the
hand gels provided,'' Mrs Samuel said.
Wards 6a and 8b were closed earlier this year after a similar
outbreak. That closure put pressure on other parts of the
hospital and some elective surgery was cancelled.