Methadone dispensed to a user by a pharmacy. Photo: ODT
The Pharmacy Council is reviewing a report in which
deputy Health and Disability Commissioner Rae Lamb found the
former Campus Pharmacy in Dunedin and its owner Peter Barron
breached a man's rights to have services provided with
reasonable care and skill.
The man, Christopher Wilson (27), was dispensed someone
else's methadone on March 16, 2006, and died later that day
from an overdose.
In an appendix to the report, Ms Lamb's expert adviser,
pharmacist Maree Jensen, noted her investigations had led her
to the view that Mr Barron had also breached two principles
of the Pharmacy Council's Pharmacist Code of Ethics, namely
to optimise medicines related outcomes and prevent harm to
the patient and public.
Chief executive Bronwyn Clark said the council would take
some time to consider Ms Lamb's findings.
It hoped to have a response to the report by the end of next