Two people are being flown to Wellington Hospital in a
critical condition after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide in
a chemical spill at a tanning factory in Wanganui.
Another 19 people have been exposed to the gas, and were
being assessed at Wanganui Hospital, a DHB spokeswoman said.
Emergency services were called to Tasman Tanning in
Castlecliff about 5pm today following a chemical spill.
The spokeswoman said two people had been ventilated after
being exposed to the toxic gas.
They were in a critical but stable condition and were due to
fly to Wellington Hospital for further treatment tonight.
Hydrogen sulfide is a colourless, poisonous, flammable gas.
It has a strong smell, similar to rotten eggs.
The spokeswoman said the chemical affected lungs and
The condition of the 19 other people taken to Wanganui
Hospital was not known tonight.
Tasman Tanning employs about 200 people and supplies leather
to manufacturers around the world.
The family-operated business has been in operation since