The cob walls of a Seddon house crumbled in Friday's
6.6-magnitude quake. Photo by Bejon Haswell.
The Red Cross is winding down operations in Seddon
following Friday's large earthquake that damaged homes, leaving
The 6.6 magnitude quake struck near the South Island town
Since then a swarm of aftershocks have hit the centre of the
country, continuing to rattle quake-weary residents.
Seddon suffered the worst damage from the shakes with five
houses damaged so badly, they are uninhabitable.
Yesterday Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee and
Civil Defence Minister Nikki Kaye visited residents in the
Mr Brownlee said engineers from the EQC were already carrying
"What's important is that we get the assessment process
underway quickly and move toward a rapid settlement with
those who have damage."
Residents should make claims for quake-affected homes as soon
as possible, Mr Brownlee said.
"EQC are coming here on Monday and already EQC engineering
assessors are here looking at the land conditions here making
sure we don't have any issues.
"It appears there isn't, which is good."
Heavy rain and high winds hit the area yesterday, but a break
in the weather today should allow for a clean-up effort to
Red Cross spokesman Gerard Moore told Radio New Zealand the
community spirit in Seddon was similar to what he witnessed
after the 2011 quake in Christchurch.
"People respond in different ways but you see the same type
of reactions all over the place, whichever the situation, and
you see the same great traits in people supporting each other
and the wonderful stories of help and assistance."
Five people needed treatment at Wairau Hospital in Blenheim
for injuries they received in yesterday's big quake,
One person was admitted to the hospital, but was in a stable
condition by yesterday afternoon.
The MP for Kaikoura Colin King told RNZ the town escaped
lightly in terms of injuries and emergency services could
have been dealing with a very different situation.
"When a chimney goes down ...or the church, if there was a
congregation in it at the time, there wouldn't have been only
casualties, there would have been fatalities," he said.
Meanwhile, in Wellington demolition of a damaged lift shaft
in the CBD would continue today.
A 400 tonne crane was being ferried to the capital from
Christchurch to help dismantle the Luke's Lane lift shaft,
which was initially damaged in last month's 6.5 magnitude
Council spokesman Richard MacLean told RNZ workers removed
some steel framing and an electric lift motor, weighing about
three tonnes, from the top of the shaft yesterday.
However, he said there were few cranes in the country that
could be used to remove a concrete slab at the top of the
shaft, which weighed at least 30 tonnes.
The large crane would take some time to set up so lifting
would not start until at least tomorrow, Mr MacLean said.
Victoria University said as a precautionary measure it had
closed all its campuses this weekend due to the ongoing
The closures applied to the Karori, Kelburn, Pipitea and Te
The university was expected to reopen tomorrow morning.