A car crash that cut off power to parts of Edgecumbe and Te
Teko on Sunday night was connected to Friday's double
shooting in Kawerau.
Emergency services were called to the Edgecumbe/Te Teko Rd
about 11pm on Sunday night after reports of a car, believed
to be a dark-blue Holden, crashing into a power pole.
Bay of Plenty police district communications manager Kim
Perks said when emergency crews got to the scene the driver
of the car had fled.
A check on the registration of the vehicle revealed it was
the dark-coloured sedan police had been seeking in relation
to the double shooting on River Rd in Kawerau. The car had
been seen leaving the scene of the shooting shortly after it
A person at the crash said police armed themselves and
emergency crews were asked to get back into their vehicles
when the details of the car were known.
"Although the car has been impounded, police are still
seeking information about the vehicle and its movements on
Friday," Ms Perks said.
Police had earlier said they had not ruled out further
arrests as the investigation continued.
Power was restored about five hours after the crash.
Meanwhile, the three men charged with attempted murder
following the shooting have been remanded in custody to
re-appear in the High Court at Rotorua on October 2. The
trio, aged 21, 29 and 52, were granted interim name
suppression when they appeared in Whakatane District Court on
The two victims of the shooting, aged 38 and 48, remain in
critical condition in Waikato Hospital where they were
airlifted about 7am on Friday.
After the shooting, armed police searched a number of Kawerau
properties including homes on Valley Rd, Galway St and Sewell
Acting Area Commander Detective Senior Sergeant Greg Standen
said the Kawerau community would hold vital information about
He urged anyone with any information to contact Kawerau
police on (07) 308 5255 or anonymously through Crimestoppers
on 0800 555111.
- Rotorua Daily Post