Mark Lundy spent his first weekend of freedom watching
Bathurst, catching up with friends and Skyping family.
Lundy enjoyed a Sunday breakfast at the house he has been
bailed to, after the Privy Council quashed his convictions
for the murder of his wife and daughter 13 years ago.
A family spokesman said Lundy had not left the house and
didn't plan to for at least a week.
He had been instructed by his lawyers not to speak to media
as the Crown decided whether to hold a retrial for the
murders of Christine and Amber Lundy in their Palmerston
The man said even if he could, Lundy was not ready to talk
about his new-found freedom.
"He's just getting used to being here," the spokesman said.
"We're going to watch Bathurst today, we're looking forward
to that. He's a Ford man."
Lundy and his bail address hosts were visited by friends in
two cars who brought a newspaper and refreshments to watch
the Australian car race.
Later in the afternoon, when The Ice Cream Man van parked in
the street, there was a steady flow of customers, but still
no sign of Lundy.
His spokesman said Lundy had spent the weekend getting up to
speed with new technology, Skyping nephews in Perth and a
friend's daughter in Auckland.
"He's done some Skyping. We've got him a phone and he's
getting to grips with that. He's doing fine. He's okay but he
can't talk and he's not going to."
Speculation that Lundy would visit the graves of his wife
Christine and daughter Amber was correct but it would be done
in secret, the spokesman said.
"I'm sure he'll want to at some stage. That will be extremely
private. There is no way anyone will know when that happens."
The spokesman said there was no restriction on where Lundy
could travel in New Zealand but the family would be careful
about visiting his former home city.
"We're aware of the sensitivities around Palmerston North."
Lundy would spend his time this week speaking with his
lawyers, though no time frame had been set around a possible
Lundy was not "particularly worried" about abuse yelled at
him from neighbours on Friday night when he arrived at the
Some neighbours had contacted police and the council, worried
about him being bailed to their street.
However, another neighbour spoken to by the Herald said he
had no problem with Lundy moving in across the street.
"As far as I'm concerned he's innocent until proven guilty
and that's the way it should stand."
He did however draw the line at offering Lundy his support.
He said the media attention was hard to ignore when there
were TV cameras outside his door.
"It's a case of pulling the curtains and not thinking about
it for me."
Neighbours at the house where abuse was shouted during
Lundy's arrival declined to speak to the Herald after their
comments on Friday night.
Meanwhile, Lundy's lead supporter, Geoff Levick, said he
could not speak to media. "We are on a complete embargo from
talking to the media. Everybody is. No one's allowed to say a
- Natalie Akoorie of the NZ Herald