Mount Maunganui chemical plant on fire

A Mount Maunganui chemical plant is on fire sending out plumes of potentially toxic smoke.

Police and firefighters were called to Lawter NZ about 5.40pm.

A police spokesperson said huge amounts of smoke were coming from the fire.

The plant had been evacuated and surrounding businesses were being evacuated due to fears the fumes could be toxic.

It appeared the smoke was being blown out to sea but police were telling people it was very toxic and they should avoid the area.

 

ODT/directory - Local Businesses

CompanyLocationBusiness Type
Rex Industrial Equipment LtdDunedinIndustrial Supplies
Bob Macauley and AssociatesBalcluthaInsurance
Roslyn Book & Toy Centre & Modellers' AtticDunedinChildrens Clothes & Toys
St Kilda AutomotiveDunedinServicing & Mechanics