Biosecurity officials are investigating the discovery of a
second male Queensland fruit fly caught in a surveillance
trap in Whangarei.
The insect was collected from a Ministry for Primary
Industries routine surveillance trap on Tuesday and formally
It follows the discovery of another fruit fly in Whangarei in
January which triggered a massive surveillance programme
which included setting up a controlled area with restrictions
on the movement of fresh fruit and vegetables, which cost
taxpayers $1.6 million.
MPI Deputy Director General Compliance and Response Andrew
Coleman said the insect was trapped in the Parihaka area of
Whangarei, about 400m from where a single fly was found in
January this year.
"However all our information at this stage tells us this
detection is a new find and not related to the January
"Queensland fruit fly has been found four times in New
Zealand previously, including the January Whangarei
detection. In all these earlier cases, increased trapping
found no further flies," Mr Coleman said.
Up to 120 MPI and Quality Assure staff worked on the
biosecurity threat in Whangarei after a single male
Queensland fruit fly was found in a garden in the
Riverside/Parihaka area, on January 21.
The operation was finally declared over on February 8 after
no more fruit flies were found following two weeks of
trapping, fruit sampling and testing. That operation cost