Part of a Wellington rest home
has been evacuated following a chemical reaction between
Fire Service central communications shift manager Murray
Dunbar said firefighters were alerted to the incident at
Johnsonvale Home in Johnsonville about 3.30pm.
"There's been two chemicals mixed together."
The mixing of the cleaning chemicals caused a "chemical
reaction," Mr Dunbar said.
"I understand there was a partial evacuation from one end of
the rest home to the other of residents and staff, and one
house adjacent to the location was evacuated."
No one was hurt from the chemical reaction, and the situation
was being stabilised, Mr Dunbar said.
"We're just waiting for the chemicals to be uplifted by a
company for disposal."