More than 100 people were evacuated from a Nelson hotel
overnight after a gas leak.
Emergency services were called to the Rutherford Hotel on
Nile Street about 11.30pm after receiving reports of smoke in
the building's gymnasium, southern fire communications shift
manager Andrew Norris said.
"When we got down there, we discovered it wasn't smoke,
they've actually had a gas leak or a leak of a refrigeration
gas in the premises."
Gas filled the gymnasium and bar area.
As a precaution, the 98 guests were evacuated, Mr Norris
"Four staff were exposed to the gas - they've been checked by
ambulance and found to be okay."
Fire crews in full Hazmat gear found the leak and sealed it.
Guests were allowed back into the building about 2pm after it
had been fully ventilated, Mr Norris said.
No other buildings in the area were affected.
It was not yet known what caused the leak.
- Rebecca Quilliam of APNZ