Muhammad Rizalman bin Ismail.
The Malaysian Government has given an assurance that the
military warrant officer alleged to have committed burglary and
sexual assault will be sent back to New Zealand.
But he remains in a Malaysian hospital and it is still
uncertain when he will be discharged.
Muhammad Rizalman bin Ismail, 38, a former defence staff
assistant at the Malaysian High Commission in Wellington,
will return to New Zealand without diplomatic immunity.
Defence Minister Hishammudin Hussein said his Government was
working on preparations to extradite Rizalman.
"What is wrong is wrong and justice should not only be done,
but must be seen to be done," said Mr Hishammudin on Sunday
"That is why we have requested that he goes back to New
Zealand to assist investigations into the case."
The minister said New Zealand authorities had also promised
that Rizalman would be treated fairly.
"He has to be looked after and the New Zealand authorities
have assured us of that."
He would not confirm the date Rizalman would be sent back.
Details of Rizalman's return were being worked out between
the Attorney-General's Chambers and the New Zealand High
Commission in Malaysia.
Earlier in the day, the Herald was notified by a Kuala Lumpur
taxi driver of a man resembling Rizalman being dropped off at
the departure hall at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
However, a hospital staffer at Tuanku Mizan Military Hospital
said Rizalman had still not been discharged.
- Lincoln Tan of the New Zealand Herald