Cows, sheep, goats and deer are behind a spate of recent
crashes and near misses in Waikato, police warn.
A driver was seriously hurt in a two car collision with a cow
in Orongo near Kopu early on Monday.
The other incidents had potential for serious injuries or
worse being suffered, Waikato district road policing manager
inspector Freda Grace said.
Some of the incidents involved a number of livestock being on
Six to 10 sheep were spotted on State Highway 23 about midday
About 4.20am on Monday, 10 to 15 cows were seen walking along
Waitomo Caves Rd.
Two hours later seven large cows were spotted on Bush Rd near
Then about 4.30pm five cows were on the loose on State
Highway 1 at Ohinewai.
"In addition to these we've had about half a dozen incidents
of dogs on rural highways over the same period including two
incidents where the animals have had to be put down," Ms
"To avoid tragedy it is important for land owners to ensure
the integrity of their fences and farm gates, particularly in
areas where stock are grazing paddocks next to roadsides,"
"Another important thing is motorists who have crashes where
farm fences are damaged need to report it, not slink off in
the middle of the night leaving a potential accident waiting
Motorists had responsibilities as well, she said.
"We need to ensure vehicles are up to warrant of fitness
standard, particularly in terms of headlights.
"Drivers need to drive at a speed that allows them to react
in time to unforeseen circumstances, and having proper
lighting plays a major part in this."
Other incidents reported
• Three goats on the Thames Coast Rd about midday on Thursday
• A cow on SH2 near Steen Rd Waitakaruru about 2pm Sunday.
• Four cows wandering from Island Block Rd on to SH1 at
Meremere about 4pm Sunday
• A large sheep on SH27 at Patetonga about 4.15pm Sunday.
• A cow running along Old Tauranga Rd near Waihi about 8am on
• A large deer on SH29 on the west side of the Kaimai summit
about 9.45am on Monday.
• Three sheep on the road on SH25 near Whitianga at 12.20pm
• A cow on SH3 near Ohaupo about 11am Tuesday.
• Two cows on SH3 near Airport Rd, Rukuhia about 6.35am
- By Catherine Gaffaney of APNZ