Four years on from the first Christchurch quake, the council
is committing $40 million to the rebuild of community and
heritage facilities across the city and Banks Peninsula.
Christchurch mayor Lianne Dalziel announced today the council
would fast-track the repair of these facilities.
Ms Dalziel said work would begin immediately, with a focus on
repairing buildings closed due to earthquake damage, and
rebuilding facilities demolished after the quakes.
The council had set aside almost $29.1m for the repair and
rebuild of community facilities, and $11.7m for heritage
Decisions on which facilities to prioritise for funding was
based on feedback from Christchurch residents, Ms Dalziel
"This is a very real signal that we are committed to
continuing to repair and rebuilding the facilities that
matter the most to our residents."
Funding would come from the council's Facilities and
Infrastructure Improvement New Borrowing Allowance, ahead of
insurance discussions being finalised.
The proceeds of any insurance claims would be returned to the
allowance, she said.
Repair work was expected to take a year, and priority
facilities would be rebuilt within two years, she said.
The announcement was made at today's earthquake recovery
committee hearing, which was moved from its city HQ out to
the New Brighton Community Centre in the east.
"September 4, 2010 is a significant date in our city's
history so it is poignant that this meeting is held in the
east of Christchurch, an area that suffered extensive damage
following the earthquake," Ms Dalziel said.
At the meeting it was also announced that QEII Park, which
was damaged in the quakes, was the preferred site for a new
Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre in northeast
"We're delighted to make this announcement about a new
recreation and sport centre that will be used by residents of
all ages in one of the very neighbourhoods that will benefit
from the facility," Ms Dalziel said.
A budget of $30.5m was previously allocated to the sport
centre in the 2012/13 annual plan.
Minister responsible for the Earthquake Commission Gerry
Brownlee said the fourth anniversary has coincided with the
Earthquake Commission (EQC) reaching two significant
The Canterbury Home Repair Programme has reached $2 billion
in net payments to contractors since the repair of earthquake
damage began in the city in 2010.
The programme has also completed 60,000 repairs, with just
under 10,000 repairs to go.
"These milestones illustrate the scale of the programme,
which has made it easily the largest employer of residential
construction skills and resources in New Zealand's history,"
Mr Brownlee said.
A five-part documentary, featuring Christchurch residents
discussing progress of the rebuild to date, was released
The series, Christchurch – The Ever Evolving City, was
produced by the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority
(Cera) over the past four months.
Cera chief executive Roger Sutton said it showed progress
across all aspects of the rebuild.
"We wanted to show the good news stories we constantly hear.
These are local people talking about their own achievements
and goals as our recovery evolves."
Mr Sutton said the series cost around $90,000 to produce, and
more than 400 DVD copies will be delivered to retirement
complexes, schools, cafes, businesses and malls around