The search has officially been called off for the two
fishermen deemed missing in Fiordland in September after navy
divers were unable to locate the men's bodies this week.
Navy and police divers completed a dive at the wreckage site
of The Governor on Tuesday and could not locate the bodies of
skipper Kevin Cosgrove (60) or crew member Nirvana Reynolds
Cousin and spokeswoman for the family of Mr Cosgrove, Cathy
Culling, said yesterday his family had come to terms with
their loss and were resigned to the fact they would not
recover him from the sea.
The search was inconclusive and had been affected by the
rough weather at the wreckage site 2.5km, offshore from Yates
Point north of the Milford Sound mouth.
The vessel ran in to trouble on September 15 and divers have
been hindered since because of high winds and rough weather.
Mrs Culling said she was satisfied with the police and search
and rescue team efforts and realised it was out of their
"The man above has not been good to us.
"They couldn't go down because of the weather and we
understand that. It's been a long process, but we realise
it's the weather and there is nothing you can do."
The police had kept both families fully informed throughout
the search, she said.
A memorial service for Mr Cosgrove is yet to be confirmed.
Mr Reynolds' family could not be contacted yesterday.
Tuesday's dive was carried out in clear conditions and divers
were able to take footage using camera equipment to provide
views both inside and outside the vessel.
The sea had shifted the vessel about 200m south from its
original resting place.
No further dives are scheduled for the recovery and the
matter has been referred to the coroner.