Lakes District Museum director David Clarke outside a
restored Arrowtown miner's cottage. Photo by Mike Langford.
Historic buildings worth $5 million will remain in
Queenstown council ownership.
The six properties, including the Arrowtown miners' cottages,
featured on a list as possibly surplus to requirements
earlier this year. council chief executive Adam Feeley told
councillors this week no further action would be taken
Mr Feeley's report noted two of the buildings - Williams
Cottage in Queenstown Bay, now Vesta Design Store and Cafe,
and Malaghans Library in Ballarat St - cannot be sold without
Queenstown and District Historical Society president Marion
Borrell welcomed the decision.
''It's excellent news. It's regrettable this was not decided
Mrs Borrell spoke at last month's council meeting in defence
of retaining public ownership of Malaghans Library, a stone
building owned by the council since 1877.
A report will be compiled over the next six months outlining
options for the continuing protection for the Arrowtown
Future options for 6 Merioneth St, which borders the cottage
precinct, will also be detailed.
The 130-year-old cottages were bought for $1.9 million in
2007 from the late billionaire Eamon Cleary and restored in a
$700,000 three-year project.