An Arrowtown man is believed to have been treated at Lakes
District Hospital after a fire in his home early on Saturday.
Arrowtown Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Mark
Woodham said the station was called to the property, on
McDonnell Rd, just before 1am.
Mr Woodham said he understood the man had returned to his
home following a ''big night out'' and decided to cook some
Having fried bacon in a pan on the stove, the man took the
bacon from the pan - but put the pan back on the stove, which
had not been turned off.
''He fell asleep and got woken up by the fire alarm. So he
rang his wife, who was in Christchurch, and she rang the fire
Mr Woodham said the property was primarily damaged by smoke,
but he understood the man was taken to hospital for the
''He's probably getting a tune-up right about now.''