Fires

Fire empties Queenstown bar

Fire empties Queenstown bar

Monty's Bar and Restaurant and neighbouring premises were evacuated when a chimney fire apparently began yesterday about 5pm.

'Malicious' fire still smouldering yesterday

A "malacious" fire in the greenwaste pit by the Ranfurly rubbish dump, fanned by high winds, continued to be a problem for the Ranfurly Volunteer Fire Brigade yesterday.

Quick work stops fire spreading

Quick work stops fire spreading

Quick work by an alert householder - and then firefighters - probably prevented a major blaze in the Closeburn area near Queenstown on Sunday night.

Fire still not officially out

The Waimate fire which blazed across 178ha just before Christmas has still not been declared officially out, a formal process which South Canterbury principal rural fire officer Rob Hands is cautious about rushing into.

Toddler playing with lighter may have caused house fire

The Fire Service is investigating whether a small boy playing with a lighter started a house fire which nearly claimed the lives of his mother and twin siblings in south Auckland yesterday.

New year, new couch fires

It may be the new year, but it's the same old problem of more couch fires in North Dunedin.

Sprinkler saves historic department store

Sprinkler saves historic department store

One of the country's oldest department stores escaped extensive damage when a sprinkler system activated and put out a fire which could have destroyed the building.

Mt Allan blaze spreads

Mt Allan blaze spreads

Firefighters are expected to continue working through Christmas to control a blaze which covers about 95 hectares of forestry on Mt Allan.

Hunter Hills fire under control

Hunter Hills fire under control

The Waimate fire which burnt 178ha has been contained, but could be months away from being officially declared out, unless there is a lot of rain despite long-term predictions of a dry, windy summer.

Controlled burn heads towards powerlines

Controlled burn heads towards powerlines

Scrub clearing contractors where given a fright yesterday morning when a controlled and permitted burn-off of gorse near Portobello got out of control.

Syndicate content