Protesters opposing Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi and
the Muslim Brotherhood run from tear gas during clashes
with police in front of the Presidential Palace in Cairo.
Protesters demanding the departure of Egyptian President
Mohamed Mursi have clashed with police outside his palace on
the second anniversary of the overthrow of veteran autocrat
Dozens of youths threw rocks at the Ettihadiya palace after a
peaceful march by thousands of demonstrators who accused
Mursi's conservative Muslim Brotherhood of hijacking Egypt's
democratic revolution and seeking to monopolise power.
Police responded by firing water cannon and teargas from the
walls of the presidential compound, which have been raised in
some places and shielded by barbed wire after petrol bombs
set fire to a building in the grounds last week.
Riot police later emerged to chase the protesters away from
the palace and into side-streets.
The clashes, which appeared smaller and less violent than
previous bouts of anti-Mursi unrest, were broadcast live on
some television channels.
"We may be few in numbers but we will not back down from
fighting criminals dressed up in police uniform," said Ahmed
Farghaly, a protester outside the presidential palace.
Earlier, anti-Mursi protesters briefly occupied one of the
main bridges across the Nile, disrupting rush-hour traffic in
the heart of the capital.
The main Cairo rally was in the central Tahrir Square, focal
point of three weeks of demonstrations in 2011 that led to
Amid opposition calls for Mursi to sack his cabinet and form
a national unity government, Prime Minister Hisham Kandil
said in a government statement: "The revolution will bear
fruit through serious work and effort, and by avoiding
incitement and political brinkmanship."
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt with an iron fist for 30 years, was
sentenced to life imprisonment last June for his role in
killing protesters after a trial seen as setting a precedent
for holding Middle East autocrats to account.
Now opposition parties are demanding that Mursi be put on
trial over the deaths of nearly 60 demonstrators in
anti-government protests that erupted on January 25, but the
public prosecutor says there is no evidence to link the
democratically elected president with the deaths.