UC Santa Barbara students react near the scene of the
shooting in the Isla Vista section of Santa Barbara.
A gunman described as severely mentally disturbed killed
six people in a rampage in a Southern California college town,
stabbing three in his apartment before gunning down three more
The Friday night (local time) killing spree ended after
sheriff's deputies exchanged fire with the suspect,
identified as 22-year-old Elliot Rodger, son of a Hollywood
director. The suspect, who had been in his vehicle, was then
found dead in the car in an apparent suicide.
Authorities were investigating a threatening video posted
online by the suspect before the shooting in the town of Isla
Vista near the campus of the University of California at
In the YouTube video, which the Santa Barbara County sheriff
said appears to have been made by the suspected gunman, a
young man presumed to be Rodger bitterly complains of
loneliness and rejection by women and says he plans to kill
"It's obviously the work of a madman," Sheriff Bill Brown
told a news conference about the shooting, later adding it
was "very, very apparent he was severely mentally disturbed."
A frame grab from a YouTube video shows a man who
identified himself as Elliot Rodger. The video was removed
hours after the Santa Barbara shooting. REUTERS/Elliot
Witnesses to the violence reported seeing someone driving
a black BMW through the streets and shooting at people in Isla
Vista, a beachside community where many college students live.
Seven people died in the rampage, including the suspect,
identified as the son of Peter Rodger, an assistant director
on the 2012 film "The Hunger Games." Another eight people
were wounded and being treated in a local hospital.
"We offer our deepest, compassionate sympathy to the families
involved in this terrible tragedy," lawyer Alan Shifman told
reporters outside the family home in the Woodland Hills
neighborhood of Los Angeles, reading from a prepared
statement on behalf of the family.
"We are experiencing the most inconceivable pain and our
hearts go out to everyone involved," he added.
The New York Times quoted Shifman as saying that Rodger's
parents had called police about a month ago to express
concerns about his YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the
killing of people."
Brown said his department had three times been in contact
with the suspect prior to the killings, including once after
a family member asked them to check on his welfare last
Brown said that deputies had interviewed Rodger but found him
to be polite and courteous and took no further action.