A dual Australian-UK national is among the victims of the
unfolding Nairobi shopping mall siege, the Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade says.
"Advice received from the Australian High Commission in
Nairobi confirms that an Australian-UK dual national was
among those killed in the terrorist attack on the Westgate
shopping mall in Nairobi," a DFAT spokeswoman told AAP.
"The Australian government deeply regrets this senseless loss
of life and extends deepest sympathies to the family of the
"It is not appropriate to name the individual."
Consular assistance will be extended to the family of the
person killed, but no identifying details have been released.
At least 59 people were killed and 175 wounded when
al-Qaeda-linked Somali militants stormed an upmarket shopping
centre in the Kenyan capital, according to local officials.
Between 10 and 15 gunmen are believed to be holed up in the
building with an unknown number of hostages, a full day after
the carnage began.
DFAT says it's received confirmation that two Canadian
nationals have been killed, including a diplomat, and the
French government has advised that two of its nationals are
among the victims.
One New Zealand national has been confirmed as injured.
"The situation on the ground remains fluid," DFAT's
"DFAT has received advice from several Australians who were
caught up in the attack and managed to escape to safety."
Among them is Melbourne woman Sarah Williamson, who
reportedly survived by huddling in a phone store.
The 23-year-old was in the mall with her father, who works
for the UN, when she heard the first explosions.
"She heard the first grenade go off and said, `What was that,
dad?'," her mother Linda has told Fairfax Radio Network.
"Then he heard the guns firing and he knew exactly what it
was and he said, `We're under attack, everybody to the back
of the room.'"
The Eltham woman spent six hours trapped in the store before
she could run to safety.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has condemned the terrorist
attack and expressed her sympathy to Kenyans and President
Uhuru Kenyatta, who has lost family members in the incident.
"The thoughts of all Australians are with the victims and
their families," she said in a statement.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott was briefed on the unfolding
crisis earlier on Sunday.
Australians still in Kenya have been urged to avoid all
public places in Nairobi for the next 24-48 hours and closely
monitor local media.
People with concerns about family or friends in Kenya should
try to contact them directly or if unsuccessful phone the
DFAT consular emergency centre on (02) 6261 3305.