Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvana.
Indonesian officials say they are yet to perform an
autopsy on a Queensland mother and her teenage daughter who
fell fatally ill while holidaying in Bali.
But the family has been told toxic fish may have been the
Noelene Bischoff, a senior nurse from the Sunshine Coast, and
her 14-year-old daughter Yvana died in the early hours of
Saturday, less than a day after they checked in to their
beachfront resort on Bali's east coast.
Grieving relatives in Australia say the Department of Foreign
Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has told them toxic food caused the
"We've been told it is fish they've eaten," Ms Bischoff's
brother-in-law Kevin Bowe told the ABC.
Noelene's mother Jean told Network Ten: "It's a blessing to
us that they've been taken together because one couldn't have
coped without the other."
A school project prepared by Yvana last year depicts an
animal-lover with big dreams.
"I have one horse and love to ride. My favourite food is
mango or anything chocolate," she wrote.
"My hopes ... I want to be an equine vet."
Local sources told AAP on Sunday night they were yet to
confirm a cause of death as they were still waiting for
permission to proceed with the autopsy.
Under Indonesian law, an autopsy can proceed without
permission from Tuesday.
However, the sources said a search of the hotel room where
the mother and daughter were staying had not revealed any
sign of violence.
They also said investigators had interviewed witnesses from
the hotel, a clinic and a restaurant in Ubud where the pair
Padang Bai Beach Resort staff were alerted early on Saturday
morning when Yvana asked for help, telling security guards
she and her mother had fallen gravely ill.
The pair were taken by private ambulance to a nearby medical
centre but about 1.45am local time the mother died, according
to local sources.
The girl was rushed to BIMC Hospital, an international clinic
in the Balinese capital of Denpasar, but could not be saved.
Medicine found in the Bischoffs' hotel room is being tested.
One senior local police source told AAP on Saturday the
treating doctor at the first clinic suspected a food allergy.
"What kind of food, we don't know," he said then.