The Bali parole boss who witnessed Schapelle Corby's
self-harm attempts has argued it would be "reckless" to send
her back to jail.
Indonesian authorities completed their report on the
controversial Seven Network program that could end Corby's
parole, as two Australian members of the media were deported
The same man who granted Corby's parole - Justice Minister
Amir Syamsuddin - will decide whether to take it away.
Bali parole board's Sunar Agus says he conveyed to the
minister it would be best for Corby to remain on parole,
however it was not his decision.
"If we force her to go back to jail, we would be considered
reckless," he said.
"Let her be guided so that she can improve herself again."
But Agus, who first revealed that an "unstable" Corby had
tried to cut herself with a knife during a meeting on Monday
night, did flag the possibility of other sanctions for the
Meanwhile, authorities say the decision to deport two
Australian members of the media was part of a larger
operation, and not at the request of the Corby family.
Network Ten reporter Daniel Sutton and freelance photographer
Nathan Richter were sent back to Australia on Friday
afternoon and are banned from re-entering Indonesia for at
least six months.
They were stopped on Wednesday while working near the Kuta
home where Corby is staying, while she tries to avoid media
They only had visas bought on arrival at the airport, rather
than journalist visas, I Gusti Kompyang Adnyana, of Bali's
law and human rights department, told reporters.
He denied the operation was at the Corby family's request.
"This was purely from our own decision," he said.
"We will do this in the future. This is a reminder for them
to follow procedure."
Asked why other reporters - including those from the Seven
Network who documented Corby's first days on parole - had not
been arrested, he said: "We're still looking".
Earlier this week, Agus revealed Corby had asked whether
foreign media could be deported.
But he said: "I will not go there and will not do it".
Sutton and Richter could have been jailed for up to five
years and fined 500 million rupiah ($A48,500) but officials
opted for deportation in order for the matters to be dealt
Their ban on re-entering Indonesia can be extended.
A Network Ten spokesperson said Sutton had "inadvertently
entered Indonesia" on the wrong visa.
Corby's family has blamed media intrusion for her ailing
mental health and attempts at self-harm earlier this week.
While the drug smuggler heeded advice not to be interviewed
for Seven's story, her sister Mercedes spoke and continued to
maintain the 36-year-old's innocence.
Mr Syamsuddin, who is campaigning for re-election, is under
significant public pressure to send Corby back to jail.