Sixteen elderly people have been forced to leave their Port
Melbourne building overnight after four fires were
deliberately lit inside.
MFB spokesman Trevor Woodward said four fires were set in
common areas in the three-storey elderly residential complex.
Firefighters were first alerted when sprinklers activated in
the building shortly after 11pm (AEST) on Sunday.
Mr Woodward said firefighters may have been on the scene as
some of the fires were lit.
"When they arrived they located one fire but then they
discovered three other fires had been lit, so whether they
were lit before we arrived or after we arrived is not quite
clear," he told AAP.
Mr Woodward said the fires were small and were kept from
spreading by the sprinkler system, but fire crews remained on
the scene for four hours in case other fires broke out.
No one was hurt, Mr Woodward said.
Police are investigating.