A man who "hunted down" another man in Sydney's CBD before
punching him unconscious in a "cowardly" attack has been
given an 18-month suspended sentence.
Matthew Blackmore, 33, was walking along George Street about
midnight on July 14 last year when Abdullah Sinno began
Sinno, 35, struck Mr Blackmore once in the head, knocking him
Mr Blackmore spent the following 12 days in hospital and now
suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and persistent
In sentencing Sinno for one count of assault occasioning
actual bodily harm on Tuesday, Magistrate Katherine Thompson
said it was a "cowardly" attack, with Sinno fleeing the scene
and leaving Mr Blackmore lying unconscious.
She said Sinno had thought through his actions enough to stop
driving, pull over his car and chase Mr Blackmore.
Sinno's lawyer Peter Webb told the court his client only
pursued Mr Blackmore because the 33-year-old had damaged his
But prosecutor Sergeant Jade Francis said there was no
evidence Mr Blackmore did any such thing.
"What is particularly concerning about this matter is that
the victim is essentially hunted down by the offender," Sgt
Sinno delivered the single punch with such force it knocked
Mr Blackmore "out cold".
"(He) sees him lying on the ground and walks away."
While Magistrate Thompson acknowledged the attack had caused
Mr Blackmore substantial ongoing harm, she said Sinno had no
history of violence and had good prospects of rehabilitation.
She sentenced him to a term of 18 months, suspended on the
basis of good behaviour.
Speaking outside court, Mr Blackmore's sister Jennifer
Blackmore said a custodial sentence would have been more
Her brother is facing his recovery "day by day", she told