The Ashleys have five security cameras surrounding their
home, an alarm, dead bolts on the doors and locks on all
They have turned their home into a fortress because they've
been burgled four times in the past 18 months - and they're
sick of it.
"I'm angry. I don't know what else we can do," Kelly Ashley
said, following the most recent burglary of his South
Auckland home on Monday. "I'm over it."
The latest burglary was captured by the family's security
cameras, and they have given the footage to the police.
The Weymouth home was burgled three times in eight weeks
around late November 2012, not long after they moved in. They
got through last year without a repeat, before being hit
again this week.
The family have lost cameras, mobile phones, laptops, an
Xbox, a flatscreen TV, a guitar, power tools, more than
$12,000 worth of jewellery, an e-reader and even meat from
After the second burglary in 2012, they decided they needed
security cameras. But while they were shopping for them, they
got burgled again.
The burglars took all the electronic goods the family had
only just bought after the first burglary.
"It's pretty much like a fortress, but they still get in.
What else can we do? We shouldn't have to live like this," Mr
The footage of Monday's incident shows the burglars arriving
at the house and walking nonchalantly up the drive before
setting to work on the front door.
A camera easily visible above the door recorded them taking
turns booting in the door.
Inspector Zane Hooper, prevention manager for Counties
Manukau central police, said the burglars were clearly
"On the face of it, Mr Ashley has taken good preventive steps
to secure his property, and motivated offenders, irrespective
of that, have victimised him."
The 2012 burglaries were part of a spate in the
neighbourhood, he said.
The Ashleys received a $2000 grant from Victim Support for
deadbolts and window locks. They've also just bought three
more cameras to add to their system.
But despite their extensive preventive measures, their
insurance fees went up.
"Our excess went up from $250 to $2500 overnight," Tracey
Ashley said. "We're out of pocket big time on this one."
Insurance and Savings Ombudsman Karen Stevens said customers
burgled many times were a high risk to their insurers.
Police statistics from 2012 show that a home is 18 per cent
more likely to be a targeted again after being burgled once
and 33 per cent more likely if burgled twice.
Anyone who recognises the men from the CCTV footage should
contact Detective Sergeant Gareth Brown on (09) 261-1300.
- Sam Boyer of the New Zealand Herald