Dee St, Invercargill, from the Bank of New Zealand, with the Town Hall and Municipal Theatre inset at right. - Otago Witness, 13.11.1912.
When the 10.51 car from Andersons Bay was travelling along
the Andersons Bay Road last night it collided with a stray
horse somewhere near the corner of McBride Street and Bay
The animal was grazing at the end of the plantation located
along that part of the tram route, and its hindquarters were
across one of the lines. The driver of the car, C. Colmar,
was not able to see the horse in time, and a collision
ensued, the animal being thrown clear of the line.
After the police had been notified of the accident the car
proceeded on its journey to town, having been subjected to
only a trifling delay.
• Mr George Elliott, of Hampstead, whose strawberry beds and
orchards have suffered considerably as a result of the
depredations of the codlin moth, had manufactured a simple
mixture, which (says the Timaru Herald), he claims will do
considerable execution amongst the pest. The mixture consists
of sugar and treacle, which, with the addition of warm water,
is made into a syrup.
Bottle with large necks are filled about half-full with the
mixture then suspended among the branches of the trees. The
moths are attracted by the smell, and when they once get down
into the mixture to taste, are unable to get out again! A
sample bottle which had been hung in a tree at Ashburton for
a short time only contained a very large number of codlin
moths, and also blue-bottles and other flies.
• The Sydney Morning Herald says that Roland Maund, a few
nights ago, was on duty at No. 2 platform at the Central
Railway Station, as guard of the 5.47 Sydney-Richmond train.
He was standing with his hands on the stanchion of one of the
carriages, when he was struck by lightning. Seen in Sydney
Hospital, he described the occurrence in this way:
"Suddenly there was a flash, right on top of me, and
simultaneously with it I received a most severe electric
shock. The flame ran from the top of the stanchion to the
bottom, passing completely through my hand, and, most
wonderful of all, leaving it quite unscarred.
"The flame was about a foot wide. So severe was the shock
that my left arm was jerked right up into the air and I was
lifted bodily from the car and hurled through the air for a
distance of about 15 yards.
"There were quite a number of people about at the time, all
hurrying aboard, but no-one else was touched, except the two
ticket collectors who caught me as I came sailing through the
air. Talk about a shock! Well, it took a lot to make me
believe I was still alive. I expect it was the steel
stanchion; it attracted the lightning. However, I am fine
• Attention is particularly directed by the Chief Public
Health Officer in his annual report to the outbreak of plague
in Auckland during March, April and May of last year.
Fortunately, he says, the outbreak was limited eight cases,
one being a nurse who contracted the disease while on plague
To the credit of the nurses, be it said, he remarked, there
was no difficulty in obtaining volunteers for this duty. Only
two of the cases proved fatal.
"Though no cases have been reported since May 8, 1911,
neither the department nor the municipal authorities have
relaxed any of the precautions considered necessary, though
some of the suburban authorities have been somewhat apathetic
in the matter.
"Auckland is a much cleaner city than it was this time last
- ODT, 9.11.1912.
COPIES OF PICTURE AVAILABLE FROM ODT FRONT OFFICE, LOWER
STUART ST, OR WWW.OTAGOIMAGES.CO.NZ