OPINION: One message was clear at New Zealand Cricket's
new Auckland headquarters regarding Ross Taylor's shock loss of
the captaincy and subsequent omission from the tour to South
Coach Mike Hesson is apparently solely responsible for
hatching the whole plan.
This is scarcely believable. How could one man who has been
in charge for two test tours and the World T20 possibly
command such executive powers?
Certainly he must take some accountability. Under the current
structure he is ultimately responsible for the team's
performance. Yet more fingerprints must be somewhere near
this crime scene. If we can be flippant for a moment: maybe
they were wearing gloves...
What many forget is Taylor's captaincy was already under
scrutiny before Hesson took over but it seems the former
Otago coach who is regularly referred to as having "no test
experience" and who has patronisingly been called "a boy" in
some media is going to take the rap regardless.
Chief executive David White pointed out relentlessly that he
wanted to front the media on his return from Dubai. A public
relations disaster, of which it is hard to conjure up a
suitable New Zealand sporting comparison, has built in his
absence. The timing is appalling with Taylor leading the team
to victory in Colombo.
White produced a candidate for Understatement Of The Year in
relation to the decision. "Not ideal," he said. "It was
purely down to coach feedback."
White said Taylor had been offered the chance to stay on as
test skipper. He tried to claim Taylor hadn't been "stripped"
of the captaincy as a result, until it was pointed out he was
going to lose the 50-over and 20-over components to Brendon
McCullum. McCullum will now assume the entire role.
White again looked somewhat ambitiously into his crystal ball
when assessing Taylor's prospects of playing England when
they tour: "No doubt," he asserted.
- By Andrew Alderson of the Herald on Sunday