Fire starts on stove top

Photo by Robert Landreth.
Photo by Robert Landreth.
Eggs which boiled dry led to a full-scale fire in an Invercargill flat yesterday.

Tenant Karen Officer (left) said she was doing a crossword puzzle after putting a pot of eggs to boil on the stove. The eggs boiled dry and then a tea towel caught fire, which made her panic.

''I flung the tea towel away, and then the couch went on fire . . . then I panicked and screamed.''

The fire on the corner of Heywood and Tanner Sts, in the northern suburb of Grasmere, started about 10.15am. Landlord and resident Russell Milligan said the fire started in the middle unit of three adjoined flats.