Houses in Luggate and St Bathans finally had electricity
restored yesterday. A storm on Monday night had left many
homes in the Queenstown Lakes District without electricity
for up to 27 hours.
Delta general manager of asset management Adam Fletcher told
the Otago Daily Times electricity had been returned to
most areas by 10pm on Tuesday.
However, shortly after that lightning hit Transpower lines
between Clyde and Twizel, cutting power across a wide area in
Mr Fletcher said he had not been notified of any individuals
still without electricity near Queenstown yesterday.
Luggate residents waited until 11am yesterday to have their
Electricity in St Bathans was restored by about 3pm
The time frames for electricity to be restored have raised
questions about the region's preparations for an emergency
such as the Christchurch earthquake in February this year.
However, Delta supervisor Graeme Johnson said the repair and
response time could not have been any quicker.
"We had to call in crews from Dunedin, and with all the trees
fallen in both Luggate and St Bathans, it couldn't have been
physically done any quicker."
More than 500 homes had lost electricity on Monday in the
Queenstown Lakes District as the 130kmh winds blew down power
lines and trees and lifted roofs.
The Blakie family, of Fernhill, had no electricity from
Monday night until Tuesday about 3pm.
If the electricity had been out much longer, Irma Blakie said
she would have had to cook for three children on a small gas
stove from an emergency kit she and husband Aaron had
"An adult can go hungry, but not the children," she said.
Mrs Blakie had not expected the outage to last all night
because the wind had died down. However, the Blakies had been
They used candles for light during the evening and a small
gas heater to warm 7-month-old Max's milk.
Glenorchy resident Ruth-Ann Anderson said the township had no
electricity for 26 hours and it felt "a bit like camping".
Most people in the community had barbecues they could use
during the outage.
Those without any gas heating had to wrap up warmly, Ms