You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
1 large red pepper, flame roasted, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil and 50 g butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into thin rounds
2 stalks celery, trimmed, cut into thin rounds
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp dry basil
3 400g cans tomatoes
200g tomato paste
4 cups water
1. In a large pot add butter, oil, onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf, and saute over a low/medium heat until golden and tender (20-30 minutes). When veges start to soften add salt, pepper and sugar. Stir often.
2. Add spice mix and roasted red pepper. Stir to warm spices.
3. Add tomato, tomato paste and water.
4. Simmer for 20-30 mins. Remove bay leaf.
5. Blend until very smooth, and season to taste.
6. Stir in cream, cook over a low heat until heated through. Garnish with whipped cream and chopped herbs.
If you have enjoyed a dish in an Otago cafe or restaurant and would like the recipe, write to Ask a Chef, Features, Otago Daily Times, PO Box 517, Dunedin, fax 474-7422, or email email@example.com, including your name, address and a daytime telephone number, and we will request it.
Recipe provided by Zucchini Bros, Dunedin. Recipe requested by Kay Hannan, of Oamaru.