You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The premature infant allegedly bashed by his teenage father while being treated in a West Australian hospital has died, authorities have confirmed.
Police claim the month-old baby was attacked while being visited at Bunbury Regional Hospital on the night of February 15.
The baby has been on life support at Princess Margaret Hospital since last week, and was taken into the care of the Department for Child Protection, leaving chief executive Terry Murphy to make all medical decisions.
Late on Monday, a spokesman for Mr Murphy said the baby had died in the presence of his family.
"I would like to express my sadness at this tragic loss, and offer my sincerest condolences to all members of the family. I ask everyone to please be aware of the sensitivities and needs of the family and respect their privacy at this difficult time," Mr Murphy said.
Mr Murphy said he had not had to make the decision to turn off life support.
"The department is continuing to work with the family and is providing appropriate support services," Mr Murphy said.
"The coroner and the ombudsman will now undertake investigations to establish cause of death and to review the circumstances and events which preceded this tragedy."
The 15-year-old father - who himself was under the care of the state - has been charged with aggravated grievous bodily harm.
Authorities revealed last week that the alleged assault occurred when the mother left the room to heat up some food during a visit, a day or so before the infant was due to move into her family's home.
WA Child Protection Minister Helen Morton said she was saddened to hear the news and also offered her condolences to the child's family.