Four children perish in Melbourne fire

Four children have died in a house fire in Melbourne.

Police say the bodies of a 10-year-old boy, three old boy, six-year-old girl and one-year-old girl have been found inside the property in Mantello Drive, Werribee, after a blaze broke out shortly after 1am on Sunday.

A man, a woman and an eight-year-old boy were able to escape the fire.

The man has been taken to hospital with serious, smoke-related injuries.

The woman is being treated for smoke inhalation in hospital and the boy has been taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Detective Senior Sergeant Ashley Ryan says police are unable to yet say whether the fire is suspicious or not.

"Members from the arson explosives squad are here conducting that investigation," he told reporters at the scene.

Investigators were also at the hospital, he said.

"It is a terrible set of circumstances and one that is very difficult for member's of the family and our hearts go out to the family and to the community this morning."

Sgt Ryan said the scene had also been highly distressing for police and emergency services to attend given the circumstances.

He was unable to comment on reports it may have taken as long as 10 minutes to contact triple zero after the blaze erupted.

Fire brigade Lieutenant Damien Molloy said no determination had been made on how the fire started.

He said officers faced an arduous task entering the premises after the roof collapsed.

It's understood flames had already breached the roof and were coming out the front door by the time they arrived.

"There were a lot of people in the street obviously, with a fire of this intensity, people were waking," a brigade spokesman said.

"It was well beyond anything that a neighbour would be able to assist in without putting themselves in serious danger."

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter