You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Cameras on board a Melbourne-bound cruise ship show a missing passenger went overboard after a trip to New Zealand which included a stop in Dunedin.
A 22-year-old man was reported missing on the 13-night Golden Princess cruise to New Zealand on Monday night
Public address announcements and a full search on board failed to find him.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra was notified.
"In spite of the comprehensive search, the guest could not be located," a company spokesman said.
"CCTV footage has been reviewed and it sadly reveals that the guest has intentionally gone overboard from the ship.
"Given the time that has elapsed since he was last seen onboard by other guests, with the deepest regret, and in consultation with the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, we have accepted the expert view that there is unfortunately no likelihood of survival."
The spokesman said the guest's family had been notified and the company was offering support.
"Guests on Golden Princess have been asked to keep the missing guest and his family and friends in their thoughts and prayers."
The ship is due to complete the round-trip cruise in Melbourne on Wednesday.
News.com.au reports that the ship left Adelaide on January 7 and took in Kangaroo Island and Melbourne before making the journey to seven ports in New Zealand, including Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga and Auckland.
The Dunedin stop was scheduled on January 14.