You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The driver of a train involved in a fatal collision with a truck remains seriously ill in hospital, as a senior politician admits there has been a longstanding failure to deal with Victoria's dangerous level crossings.
Workers began clearing the scene on Sunday with three separate investigations under way into the crash at Dandenong South that killed one man and sent 13 others to hospital.
A preliminary investigation found there was nothing wrong with the train, the rail or the level-crossing warnings before the crash.
"There's nothing at this stage that is leaping out at us saying there was a problem with the infrastructure," Transport Safety Victoria director Alan Osborne told AAP on Sunday.
"Certainly from witness accounts we know the lights were working, the bells were working and the boom gates were down, but we'll need to check the computer systems just to confirm that it was a proper and smooth operation."
Police say a prime truck mover smashed through boom gates and into the path of a six-carriage Metro service at the Abbotts Road crossing at 11.42am (AEDT).
Metro spokeswoman Leah Waymark described the train driver's condition as "serious" and said he remained in an induced coma.
The crash has highlighted the issue of safety at the state's level crossings.
Speaking from the crash scene on Sunday, opposition transport spokeswoman Fiona Richardson said Victorian governments for nearly 100 years had failed to act on level-crossing safety.
Ms Richardson said now was the time for action on level crossings and called on Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu to meet with her to discuss the issue.
"The truth is that in the 1920s the NSW government actually took on the task of fixing every level crossing around the state," she said.
"I think that successive governments since then in Victoria haven't actually taken up that task, of all sort of flavours and all sorts of political persuasions."
Transport Minister Terry Mulder also admitted there had been failures.
"There has been systemic neglect and a lack of investment in level crossings which the government has sought to address through its record $5.8 billion infrastructure spend with a particular focus on the grade separation program," Mr Mulder said in a statement.
The government has so far confirmed funding for the removal of five level crossings with another seven planned.
At the crash scene cranes worked to move the badly damaged carriages, while one less damaged carriage was able to be moved away by a locomotive.
The track would need to be rebuilt, with the clean-up expected to take about five days, Ms Waymark said.
Police have interviewed and released the 69-year-old truck driver after seizing his phone and taking a blood sample.
A police spokeswoman said on Sunday no charges had been laid and the investigation was continuing.
Three train stations have been temporarily taken out of service between Cranbourne and Dandenong for the rest of the week.
But train network operator Metro said it wasn't expecting any major disruptions on the rest of the network and there were no concerns for passengers heading to this week's Spring Racing Carnival.
Killed in the crash was a 43-year-old Cranbourne West passenger, who was found trapped under rubble in the front carriage.
The 30-year-old train driver was trapped in his crumpled cabin for an hour before paramedics could take him to hospital.
It is the second fatal crash at the intersection in four years, but safety authorities don't believe there is a major issue with the level crossing itself.