$300,000 performing arts study

A study exploring the future of performing arts in Dunedin requires further analysis, the Dunedin City Council says.

A $300,000 performing arts feasibility study was commissioned by the Dunedin City Council and Creative New Zealand in the aftermath of the Fortune Theatre closure.

A report on phase two of the project was presented at a council community and culture meeting on February 11, which suggested options for a sustainable arts sector in the future, including possible venues.

The committee asked staff and consultants on the project to carry out additional analysis and report when they had done so.

Council Ara Toi group manager Nick Dixon said the work was expected to take several months.

As the report was discussed in a non-public committee meeting, no further information was available at this stage.

 

Comments

The ratepayers of Dunedin have payed for this report, we have a right to be able to see this report, in full, unedited and without political spin. A lot more than $300,000 has been spent on this report so far and all because the council do not have the skills or leadership to make decisions for themselves. Now even with an independent report which will have clear conclusions and recommendations the councils secret service clearly wish to bury it until a time that suits their own political will. And really if it is going to take a whole department months to "analyse" and make additional reports on an already completed report they should all be replaced for incompetence.

It may surprise a lot of people to know that at least 39% of our rates currently fund arts, culture and recreation. Do you believe we are getting good value? I do not! I believe most of this money is wasted in middle management and public relations with very little of it actually getting to the grass roots.

This just isn't really believable. A report is so complicated that council staff don't understand it. Somehow I think some one is just plain lying. Consultants may write a report with recomendations DCC don't want to see, but the public who paid the $300,000 do.

There can't be any excuse for hiding this report, bad news for the arts sector or not.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter