Centre to aid those hit by floods

The Dunedin City Council will open a recovery assistance centre today to support South Dunedin residents and property owners affected by last week's floods.

Council recovery manager Ruth Stokes said the centre was being opened at the Church of Christ hall, at 3 Prince Albert Rd, in response to ongoing demand.

It would be open from noon, with usual opening hours from 10am to 4pm, and a late night on Thursday.

Mrs Stokes said the council was committed to doing what it could to arrange assistance for those most affected by the floods.

Representatives from the council and social services agencies were due to meet this morning to discuss what help would continue to be offered, and by which organisation.

Mrs Stokes said a three-phase recovery programme included setting up the recovery centre, contacting residents and businesses, and working with social services to co-ordinate advice and support.

Skips were being removed from all flood-affected areas, and sandbags would be collected from kerbsides in South Dunedin for the rest of the week. Rubbish and recycling collection was being carried out as usual in all areas.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter