No word on when centre may reopen

The Ministry of Social Development remains tightlipped on when the South Dunedin Work and Income centre might reopen.

The centre has been closed since it sustained flood damage on June 3 and the ministry has offered no indication how much longer it will be out of action.

Ministry spokesman Dominic McGurk said there had been no progress in setting a reopening date since the ministry offered a statement on September 29.

Asked about speculation on the centre's future due to its extended closure, Mr McGurk said he had ''nothing further to add''.

The previous statement from the ministry said the building had undergone some refurbishment due to extensive flood damage. However, it offered no indication of what work had been done or what work still needed to be completed.

It declined to respond to questions about what assistance or advice had been given to regular users.

Mr McGurk made no comment when asked what had happened to staff during the centre's closure, or how they had been coping.

damian.george@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter