Pizza boxes igniting believed to be cause of fire

Pizza boxes on top of a pizza oven which was left on overnight is believed to have been the cause of a kitchen fire at a Mosgiel pizzeria this morning. 

Appliances from Mosgiel and Lookout Point were called just before 9am to extinguish the fire in the kitchen of Pizza Bella, in Gordon Rd.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokeswoman said no-one was in the building at the time of the fire.

Acting Senior Sergeant Anthony Bond said it appeared the pizza ovens at the premises were left on overnight igniting the pizza boxes on top of the oven and starting a fire.

Police were called for traffic management.

Fire crews were called to Pizza Bella in Mosgiel after a fire broke out in the kitchen. Photo: Craig Baxter
Fire crews were called to Pizza Bella in Mosgiel after a fire broke out in the kitchen. Photo: Craig Baxter

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter