Southern Motorway barrier repairs delayed

A rubbish truck demolished several hundred meters of central road barrier in a crash last month. Photo: Stephen Jaquiery
A rubbish truck demolished several hundred meters of central road barrier in a crash last month. Photo: Stephen Jaquiery
It will be at least another week of driving at 70kmh for users of Dunedin’s Southern Motorway as circumstances combine to delay essential parts for a barrier repair.

The section of barrier at Saddle Hill was damaged in a crash at the end of November.

NZ Transport Agency senior network manager Chris Harris said the agency was aiming to begin repairs on December 15.

The highway maintenance team was awaiting the arrival of essential parts from outside Dunedin, he said.

With supplier constraints in Auckland and fewer ferry sailings due to Covid-19 restrictions, the parts were taking longer to get to Otago than they would normally.

"We want to have this barrier replaced before Christmas and the higher traffic volume holiday period. But in the meantime, people should be alert and aware that there is no barrier protection from head-on crashes in that section of SH1."

The speed limit had been reduced to take into account of the lack of barrier through the section.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter