You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
PPTA president Jack Boyle told secondary teachers on Thursday night the planned strike for June 11 had been cancelled following "constructive progress" at a forum with Education Minister Chris Hipkins on Thursday.
However, both Mr Boyle and Mr Hipkins declined to make any further comment on the situation yesterday.
Otago Secondary Principals' Association secretary Gavin Kidd said secondary school staff were buoyed by the announcement.
"It's great. We're all looking for a positive resolution as soon as possible. So it's great that constructive progress is being made."
It was reported Mr Hipkins and other Ministry of Education staff met the presidents and national secretaries of the New Zealand Educational Institute and PPTA for discussions which lasted about 10 hours.
The meeting aimed to try to resolve the teachers' claims over pay and conditions which led to the national teachers' strike last week.
Before the meeting, Mr Hipkins said the Government was committed to taking action to address those concerns progressively over time, and the talks would focus on how that could be achieved.
However, Mr Kidd said it was not yet clear whether all subsequent strike action would be called off.
Further rostering home strikes were planned - for year 11 pupils on June 25 and year 12 pupils on July 2 - as well as a series of rolling strikes around the country, which would include Otago, Southland and Aoraki secondary teachers striking on June 19.
Secondary staff would be waiting with bated breath to see what happens in the next week, Mr Kidd said.