Bleach sparks airport emergency in Wellington

A bottle of bleach sparked an emergency call-out at Wellington Airport today.

Passengers on board an Air New Zealand flight had reported a chlorine-like smell inside the turbo-prop plane as it landed.

Police, fire and ambulance personnel rushed on to the tarmac. A search revealed that a bottle of bleach in a passenger's hand luggage had spilled in the overhead locker.

Newstalk ZB sports commentator Bryan Waddle, who had just got off another flight, said passengers on the affected plane had told him they weren't allowed to leave via the front door while the emergency services responded.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter